Font (19-4-0), 34, has been in the UFC for about seven years, debuting in July 2014. He’s never been as close to a title shot as he is right now with his No. 4 ranking.
By the way, who was the UFC bantamweight champion in July 2014?
While you’re thinking about that, think about this.
Standing in his way this Saturday at UFC on ESPN 31 is the former featherweight vanguard Jose Aldo (30-7-0). Aldo was untouchable for many years at 145 pounds and has proven to be formidable at bantamweight with some tough losses to top competition.
Aldo is a year older than Font and is ranked No. 5. The division still features a lot of the old guard, with former champions T.J. Dillashaw (#2), Cody Garbrandt (#7), Dominick Cruz (#10), and Frankie Edgar (#13) still active.
Both fighters need a win to keep pace with Dillashaw, who edged No. 3 Cory Sandhagen in his last bout. Perhaps the UFC will pit the winner against Dillashaw in an eliminator bout while interim champion Petr Yan and undisputed titleholder Aljamain Sterling work on unifying the belt.
The bantamweight division needs an undisputed champion and No.1 contender. Aldo has already been at the top of the mountain. But for Font, a win keeps the momentum going forward.
Font has the ground game and striking to win, but even an older Aldo will put everything to the test. If Font is not prepared or underperforms in the slightest, Aldo will take him. In addition, there are at least three other old warlords in position of baring down on him and the top 5.
Easy to say, from my spot on the couch. But I think the following holds true.
Font needs to try to not look down. Keep looking up, at the stars.
And make the climb.
In the Clinch: Font Takes Aim at Former Champ Aldo, UFC on ESPN 31 – More Resources
- Beckett Card Catalog – Rob Font UFC Cards
- Beckett Card Catalog – Jose Aldo UFC Cards
- Secondary Market Pricing – Rob Font UFC Cards
- Secondary Market Pricing – Jose Aldo UFC Cards
- 2021 Panini UFC Prizm Trading Cards Checklist
- 2021 Panini Immaculate UFC Trading Cards
In the Clinch: Font Takes Aim at Former Champ Aldo, UFC on ESPN 31 – Image Gallery
- In The Clinch: Chikadze Looks to Topple Kattar, UFC Vegas 46 - January 14, 2022
- In the Clinch: Derrick Lewis vs. Chris Daukaus, UFC Vegas 45 - December 16, 2021
- In the Clinch: Can underdog Oliveira take out Poirier? UFC 269 - December 9, 2021