NHL Rookie Power Rankings For February 2019 – We’re well into the 2018-19 hockey season and a bunch of top rookies are making a name for themselves on the NHL ice. Check out the top 15 rookies for the month of February in Russ Cohen’s NHL Rookie Power Rankings. You can read January’s power rankings HERE.
There are some big changes to the list this month. Take a look:
1. Elias Petterson – Canucks – He’s at 56 points in 52 games. When he reaches 61, he will have set a Canucks rookie record for points.
2. Rasmus Dahlin – Sabres – He’s now at 37 points. He has five in his last five games. He has eight goals and will surely hit double digits. Impressive for a rookie defenseman.
3. Miro Heiskanen – Stars – This blueliner has ten goals and 17 assists for 27 points. Three of his goals are game-winners.
4. Jordan Binnington – Blues – He is now the best rookie goalie of the bunch. He’s 15-2 with a 1.61 GAA and a .936 save percentage. Has won 4 of his last 5 starts with two shutouts.
5. Andreas Johnsson – Maple Leafs – He has three goals in his last five games. He’s in the hunt for sure.
6. Jesperi Kotkaniemi – Canadiens – He has 11 goals and 31 points in total. He takes on NHL veterans and is a +6 as a rookie center.
7. Brady Tkachuk – Senators – He’s up to 14 goals and 31 points. He’s only played in 52 games. He could still shoot up this list.
8. Jordan Greenway – Wild – The 6-6 power forward is hot. He has two goals in his last four games and now 11 on the season.
9. Andrei Svechnikov – Canes – He has 14 goals and 14 assists. He needs to get on a goal-scoring tear to be able to move up.
10. Colin White – Senators – He has 13 goals and 32 points. He’s healthy and as a result, had a three-point game recently.
11. Mathieu Joseph – Lightning – He has 13 goals on just 79 shots for a lofty 16.5% shooting percentage.
12. Carter Hart – Flyers – He’s currently on the IR but still has a 13-8 record with a 2.79 GAA and a solid .917 save percentage.
13. Dominik Kahun – Blackhawks – This surprise player has 11 goals and 30 points and is a +4 on the season.
14. Anthony Cirelli – Lightning – He has 12 goals on the season and four of them are short-handed.
15. Linus Ullmark – Sabres – Still on the list, this netminder is 13-8 with a 3.03 GAA and a .909 save percentage.
This year is another strong rookie crop. A lot can change next month. So many of these players will get more opportunities if their team is on the outside of the playoff bracket. A few of them are fueling their teams’ chances.
For more from Russ Cohen, follow him on Twitter @sportsology.
Russ Cohen is the author of several top-selling sports related books.
Baseball’s Best Rookies
Numbers Don’t Lie: Mets: The Biggest Numbers in Mets History
100 Ranger Greats: Superstars, Unsung Heroes and Colorful Characters
100 Things Rangers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die
“Strike Three!” – A Player’s Journey through the Infamous Baseball Strike of 1994
The Winter Classic: The NHL’s Savior
The Philadelphia Flyers: Images of Sports
Pioneers of Baseball
NHL Rookie Power Rankings For February 2019
Latest posts by Russ Cohen (see all)
- Future Watch: Erik Brannstrom Rookie Hockey Cards, Golden Knights - August 21, 2019
- Future Watch: David Montgomery Rookie Football Cards, Bears - August 20, 2019
- Future Watch: Wander Franco Rookie Baseball Cards, Rays - August 20, 2019