NHL Rookie Power Rankings, January 2019 – We’re well into the 2018-19 hockey season and a bunch of top rookies are making a name for themselves on the NHL ice. Check out the top 20 rookies for the month of December in Russ Cohen’s NHL Rookie Power Rankings. You can read December’s power rankings HERE.
- Elias Pettersson – Canucks – Still holding the top spot. His 45 points in 40 games is pretty terrific production.
- Rasmus Dahlin – Sabres – He’s second but he’s closing the gap as a top-four defenseman in the league.
- Miro Heiskanen – Stars – He only has 20 points, but he takes on big in-game assignments and he’s logging over 23 minutes a game and 28.2 shifts per game. Nobody is close to that.
- Andrei Svechnikov – Hurricanes – His 12 goals and 22 points have grown slightly since the last rankings. His play is improving every game.
- Mathieu Joseph –Lightning – He now has 12 goals. Only five assists but he’s added 3 goals and four points this month as of January 30th. Not bad.
- Brady Tkachuk – Senators – Hanging tough. He had an 11-game goal drought but still has 23 points.
- Andreas Johnsson – Maple Leafs – He has 10 goals and 22 points.
- Jesperi Kotkaniemi – Canadiens – He has 23 points, playing a top-six center position Is difficult and his 46.9% on draws is excellent for a rookie.
- Carter Hart – Flyers – At the age of 20, his .922 save percentage is the best among rookie netminders. He’s 7-5 with a 2.52 GAA in 13 games so far.
- Colin White – Senators – Injuries have slowed him down once again.
- Anthony Cirelli – Lightning – He has three game-winning goals and 19 points.
- Dominik Kahun – Blackhawks – He has 20 points. He picked up six this month.
- Linus Ullmark – Sabres – His record is 10-5. He has a 2.83 GAA and a .916 save percentage.
- Filip Chytil – Rangers – He’s hanging on by a thread with nine goals and nine assists.
- Dennis Cholowski – Red Wings – He’s staying healthy and added two points this month. He has four power play goals and could add more next month.
For more from Russ Cohen, follow him on Twitter @sportsology.
Russ Cohen is the author of several top-selling sports related books.
Baseball’s Best Rookies
Numbers Don’t Lie: Mets: The Biggest Numbers in Mets History
100 Ranger Greats: Superstars, Unsung Heroes and Colorful Characters
100 Things Rangers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die
“Strike Three!” – A Player’s Journey through the Infamous Baseball Strike of 1994
The Winter Classic: The NHL’s Savior
The Philadelphia Flyers: Images of Sports
Pioneers of Baseball
NHL Rookie Power Rankings, January 2019
Latest posts by Russ Cohen (see all)
- Future Watch: Lenny Torres Jr. Rookie Baseball Cards, Indians - February 15, 2019
- Future Watch: Spencer Foo Rookie Hockey Cards, Flames - February 13, 2019
- Off the Post: Flyers Beat Up Ducks On Saturday, Nolan Patrick Interview - February 11, 2019